We are excited to welcome you to the Rutgers campus for your New Student Orientation experience. Students will learn more about the Rutgers campus, connect with Rutgers departments, resources, and staff, and get guidance from current Rutgers students. Below is information to help you prepare for your orientation experience.
- What to Expect
First Year Student Orientation is a two-day, overnight experience. Students will spent the night in the Busch Suites. Check-in is from 8:30am-9:30am on day 1 at the McCormick Suites and conclude by 5pm on day 2. Meals include lunch (around 12:30/1pm) and dinner (6:!5pm) on day 1 and breakfast (8am) and lunch on day 2 (12pm). Meals are included and will be provided by Rutgers Dining and served at the Busch Dining Hall.
Transfer Student Orientation is an online orientation. Students will gain access to the online orientation starting June 1. More instructions on how to access the program will be emailed to students.
- What to Bring (First Year Students)
First year students will be spending the night in the residence hall. Here are a few items we recommend bringing:
- Long XL twin sheets (fit a 36" x 80" mattress) and comforter/blanket or sleeping bag
- Pillow and pillowcase
- Toiletries - shampoo, conditioner, body wash, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste
- Hand soap
- Shower Towel
- Shower shoes or flip flops for the shower
- Walking shoes
- Comfortable clothing*
- Sunscreen and sunglasses (students will spend some time outdoors)
- Sweatshirt or jacket (for air-conditioned rooms)
- Reusable water bottle to stay hydrated throughout the program
- Phone charger/portable phone charger
- Photo ID/license
- Notebook and pen
* Students will have access to the gym facilities to use in the evening.
Course Registration on Day 2
- NetID and password, including DUO device
- For those with AP, IB, A-level, and dual enrollment/transfer credits: transcripts from the college/university through which the credits were obtained and score reports for exams (these can be official in an UNOPENED envelope, printed unofficial copies, or log in information to show transcript or score report during course registration session)
- New Student Online Modules, Placements Tests, and More
Online learning module information is sent to all new students via their ScarletMail email account.
Note: All first-year and transfer students who start in the Fall are required to complete two online learning modules by September 1st. Students who fail to complete the two modules by the deadline will be unable to register for Spring classes. This registration hold will remain on the student’s account until both modules are completed. First-year and transfer residential students must complete the online learning modules prior to moving into their residence hall. Learn more...
School of Arts and Sciences: Fall 2023 APA Canvas course: units 1 and 2 completed (bring any questions you have!) or something more generic like "Complete the content specified in your school’s Canvas course (rutgers.instructure.com/courses).”
Placement tests completed at least 2 weeks prior to your New Student Orientation